As premium rise across the nation, Bankrate.com features a helpful story on ways to keep homeowner’s insurance premiums down. Some of the tips may surprise you.
Here are some highlights:
- A series of small claims is expensive to process for an insurer and may result in higher premiums
- Don’t lie about your history of claims — similar to CARFAX, homeowners have a “record” that track prior filings
- Higher credit scores can lead to lower premiums
- Your driving records impact your premium calculation
- A robbery before you ever moved in could result in higher premiums
The article also provides a fair amount of myth-busting so it’s worth a read. A few minutes could save you some good money on your home insurance.